Re: [xsl] email and XSL

Subject: Re: [xsl] email and XSL
From: "Bob DuCharme" <bob@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 10:35:24 -0400
> If a certain event occurs in a transformation I would like to send an
> email out.  Is this possible from within the XSL itself or will I have
> to generate html that send an email onload?

How's this: most XSLT processors give you some way to send output to
multiple files. (The XSLT 1.0 Recommendation doesn't provide for this, so it
varies from processor to processor.) You could output something that needs
to be e-mailed to a specific filename, or, if the same stylesheet needs to
create multiple e-mails, to a specific directory. Then, when the
transformation is done, a batch file or shell script driving the process
could check for the existence of the file or files and e-mail them if found
using sendmail under Unix, postmail under Windows, or whatever is
appropriate on your operating system.

good luck,

Bob DuCharme            www.snee.com/bob             <bob@
snee.com>      see http://www.snee.com/bob/xsltquickly for
info on upcoming "XSLT Quickly" from Manning Publications.