Re: [xsl] generic method of getting element length

Subject: Re: [xsl] generic method of getting element length
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 17:08:35 +0100
At 07:45 PM 5/30/01, you wrote:
Anyone know of a generic method og getting the length of an element
within a transformation?

Assuming you want the name of the context node,

string-length(name())

or

string-length(local-name())

if you want to prevent namespaces from appearing. (string-length(local-name(..)) would get the length of the name of the parent, etc.)

I know that some brands of XSLT have a length method, but is there a way
that would work for all
brands?

There is only one brand of XSLT; these functions will work in all conformant implementations. That-which-Microsoft-has-called-XSL (their implementation of www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl) is only arguably a "brand" of an obsolete version of XSL (nice word though), and never was, nor ever will be, XSLT. I doubt that the expressions above will work with it, since they're XPath, and XPath didn't exist in December 1998 when it came out.

Good luck,
Wendell