Re: [xsl] XSL Sites

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSL Sites
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 00:04:33 -0400
At 01/05/30 19:03 -0600, Sheryl Garde wrote:
I'm just new to XSL/XML stuffs. Could someone help me
better understand all about XSL/XML. Maybe you could
give me a better site wherein i can be able to understand/
study about XSL/XML.

One more thing, im quite confuse about this. What is the
difference between XSL and XSLT/XPath/XSLFO? Maybe someone
could clarify this for me..

We have written a book on this and it is sold electronically from our web site. As an indication of the style and detail of the book, the entire text of the first two chapters and the appendices are available for free download.

Here is the metadata for it:

  Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
  (XSL Transformations and the XML Path Language)
  Ninth Edition - 2001-01-19 - ISBN 1-894049-06-3
  Copyright (c) 2001 Crane Softwrights Ltd.
  / 375 Pages / Subscription price includes free updates
  /           / and separate copy of all example files.
  /           / Free 137-page download preview excerpt.

The first two freely downloadable chapters detail the context and purpose of these Recommendations.

The book can be purchased as a single copy, a site-wide staff license, or as a world-wide staff license. Purchase of any edition of a title entitles the customer to all future editions of the same title at no charge (some customers have purchased the first edition book and have received eight free books since). A new edition is published every 4 to 6 months now that XSLT and XPath have been stabilized (earlier editions tracked working drafts).

Details can be found through the "Book Sales" link at the top of the web site page addressed below.

A subset of the book is used for instructor-led training that either we run ourselves or various training organizations around the world license for their own deliveries.

All of the book content is authored in XML, and XSLT is used to create the many derivations of the single source. DSSSL is currently used to render the PDF files for the "Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath" book, while the "Practical Formatting Using XSLFO" book currently in development is rendered to PDF using XSLFO. We practice what we preach about markup technologies and this real-world practice feeds the development of the material.

I hope this helps.

-- G. Ken Holman mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Crane Softwrights Ltd. http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/ Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0 +1(613)489-0999 (Fax:-0995) Web site: XSL/XML/DSSSL/SGML/OmniMark services, training, products. Book: Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath ISBN 1-894049-06-3 Article: What is XSLT? http://www.xml.com/pub/2000/08/holman/index.html Next public instructor-led training: 2001-05-14,05-15,05-16,05-17, - 05-21,05-22,06-18,06-21,09-19

Training Blitz: 3-days XSLT/XPath, 2-days XSLFO in Ottawa 2001-06-18/22