[xsl] fo: issues

Subject: [xsl] fo: issues
From: Dwayne.Stocks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 14:45:45 +1000
Just wondering if anybody can give me some help with XSLFO. I have XML
files sitting in a Bladerunner repository and I am using the
Styler/composer component of the application to transform my XML (Im not
sure which transformation engine is under the bonnet). The structure of my
XML is as follows:

<PUBLICATION>
  <FRONTMATTER>
  </FRONTMATTER>
  <CHAPTER>
    <ANNEX>
      <APPENDIX>
      </APPENDIX>
    </ANNEX>
  </CHAPTER>
  <CHAPTER>

  </CHAPTER>
  <ENDMATTER>
  </ENDMATTER>
</FRONTMATTER>

The issues I currently have are:

1. Headers. Ideally, I need:
  a.  roman numeral page numbers in the frontmatter and standard numbering
in the chapters.
  b. numbers reset for each chapter, annex and appendix.
  c. page numbers are prefixed by the chapter number, annex letter,
appendix number where appropriate. Examples would be

      Chapter 4, page 22 -
4-22
      Chapter 5, Annex A, page 3 -                              5A-3
      Chapter 7, Annex A, Appendix 1, page 35 -   7A1-35

  I have done a little reading and I suspect that much of this is not
currently possible using XSLFO. Is this correct?

2. I need chapters and some elements of the front matter to start on a
right hand page. I am currently attempting to apply the break-before
="odd-page" attribute to the fo:block element corresponding to the element
that needs to start on the right page but it is not working - all I get is
a standard page break. Am I doing something wrong or is there another way
to achieve this?

3. There is an amendment certificate within the frontmatter which is just a
simple table without any data in it (is filled in by hand by owner of
manual). I cannot seem to get the row height to apply (keep getting default
height based on selected font)  if there is no data in the cells. Is there
a way to force the row height to be applied?

4. I cant seem to find a way to centre tables. I can centre the text within
a table, but not the table itself. I have tried using the text-align
attribute on the surrounding fo:block element and also on the table
element, but this does not work - Am I missing something?

5. I have an index in this manual. I have managed to set it up to
automatically gett all the appropriate entries and have also managed to get
the page references for each word and comma delimit them, but I cannot seem
to get rid of the duplicated page references. Is there any way of only
returning unique page numbers using the fo:page-number-citation element or
any way of removing the duplications? I have references of the form:

text <INDEXMARKER>Index entry</INDEXMARKER> text

scattered through the content and need to generate something like the
following

cat                                                 7,15,22
dog                                               5,17,22

currently where the word appears twice on the same page I would get:

mouse                                       7,15,15,22

Thanks in advance,

Dwayne Stocks
Senior Consultant
Solution 6

visit http://www.solution6.com
visit http://www.eccountancy.com  -  everything for accountants

This email message (and attachments) may contain information that is confidential to Solution 6.  If you are not the intended recipient  you cannot use,  distribute or copy the message or attachments.  In such a case, please notify the sender by return email immediately and erase all copies of the message and attachments.  Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message and attachments that do not relate to the official business of Solution 6 are neither given nor endorsed by it.