Re: [xsl] Re: music and xml + xsl ?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Re: music and xml + xsl ?
From: "Evan Lenz" <elenz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 09:29:55 -0700
Hi Robert,

Check out MusicXML[1] (not to be confused with MusicML or MusiXML). It
definitely appears to be the most current project in this area (last draft
dated 2001/07/05). There are some downloadable files available including
DTDs, XSLT stylesheets, and an example of MusicXML. Recordare, the company
behind this project, is also working on software to output MIDI, convert
from Stanford's MuseData music format, and working with Coda Finale
files--among other things; it's been a little while since I've looked at it.

The other page you'll want to use as a starting point is Robin Cover's
excellent site, specifically the page on "XML and Music"[2].

Ultimately, there probably shouldn't be just one XML format for music in
general. There are so many things you might want to capture or not
capture--notation, dynamics, non-Western tonality, historical/editorial
information, performances. One language might use the concept of Western
12-note harmony as a "schema" and individual pieces as instances of that
schema. Another language might consider an individual piece as a schema in
itself and individual performances as instances of that schema. There are so
many approaches I could imagine taking.

Another formidable project which I haven't begun to try to understand is
HyTime, which is based on SGML. I believe it's also an ISO standard and
attempts to capture actual sound/performance information.

I'd be very interested in being kept in the loop if you find anything
interesting. This has been something I've wanted to explore more deeply but
haven't yet had the time to do so. I'm particularly interested in the idea
of doing various kinds of "musical transformations" using XSLT. In that
case, certain markup languages would probably be more appropriate than
others.

Evan Lenz
B.M. in Piano Performance

[1] http://www.musicxml.com/xml.html