[xsl] Why does using the XSL namespace default namespace preclude literal result elements in the empty namespace?

Subject: [xsl] Why does using the XSL namespace default namespace preclude literal result elements in the empty namespace?
From: Aaron Hope <edh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 03:50:14 -0400
I know that's a long subjetct but the instructions said to be specific...

So, after all that here's my question: why can't i say
<namespace-alias stylesheet-prefix="html" result-prefix="#none"/>? (or #empty or #null, etc)

I don't get it, did somebody forget that part of the spec?
Or is there some other trick that i'm not aware of?
Vender-specific extensions?
I looked briefly at the 1.1 working draft and the 2.0 requirements, and didn't see any provisions for this. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for any info,
aaron

PS, relevent portions of specs below

PPS, I apologize if i'm asking a question answered in the archives or FAQ. I did consult those sources, and came up empty.

http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-xslt-19991116.html#section-HTML-Output-Method
The |html| output method should not output an element differently from the |xml| output method unless the expanded-name of the element has a null namespace URI; an element whose expanded-name has a non-null namespace URI should be output as XML.

http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-xml-names-19990114/#ns-decl
[Definition:] If the attribute name matches | PrefixedAttName <http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-xml-names-19990114/#NT-PrefixedAttName> |, then the | NCName <http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-xml-names-19990114/#NT-NCName> | gives the *namespace prefix*, used to associate element and attribute names with the namespace name <http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-xml-names-19990114/#dt-NSName> in the attribute value in the scope of the element to which the declaration is attached. In such declarations, the namespace name may not be empty.
[Definition:] If the attribute name matches | DefaultAttName <http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-xml-names-19990114/#NT-DefaultAttName> |, then the namespace name <http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-xml-names-19990114/#dt-NSName> in the attribute value is that of the *default namespace* in the scope of the element to which the declaration is attached. In such a default declaration, the attribute value may be empty.