Re: [xsl] hard core xlt ;-)

Subject: Re: [xsl] hard core xlt ;-)
From: Jeni Tennison <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 18:01:16 +0100
Hi Elise,

> what does it mean summarize ? (sorry i'm french ), well i know the
> word but don't see how it could look like... a summer text ?

I think Francis was talking about grouping the results, so for example
you'd get all the results with a Project Site of 'Paris' grouped
together. If you want a real challenge, try to have it so you have
multi-level grouping with the mix of fields determined by the user. So
for example, they could say:

  "group by Project Site and Status"

and you'd get something like:

  Paris
    Go
      Microsoft Visio 10 VS Help    07/04/2001  IT0SEO1001
      Morgan Stanley-Shareholder...             IBESEO1107
    Complete
  London
    Go
    Complete

or they could say:

  "group by Status and end date"

and you'd get something like:

  Go
    01/04/2001 - 01/05/2001
      Microsoft Visio 10 VS Help    07/08/2001  IT0SE01001  Paris
    01/05/2001 - 01/06/2001
    No date
      Morgan Stanley-Shareholder...             IBESE01107  Paris
  Completed
    01/04/2001 - 01/05/2001
    01/05/2001 - 01/06/2001

You could also try creating separate frames, one holding the table and
another holding a more detailed description, with links between them.

Allow users to filter according to whether the end date is in the past
or not, or indeed on any parameter they choose.

Give some summary information, like the number of projects in Paris,
the number with a Status of 'Go'.

Make the XSLT more generic so that you only have to edit a simple XML
file to change the general look of the page.

Allow the user to switch between a view when the result elements are
rows and one where they are columns.

In the table, without grouping (but perhaps with sorting), merge the
cells that contain the same value as their neighbours.

I'm sure that's enough for you to be getting on with :)

Cheers,

Jeni

---
Jeni Tennison