RE: [xsl] transform optimization for a schema-constrained domain

Subject: RE: [xsl] transform optimization for a schema-constrained domain
From: "Michael Kay" <mhkay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 18:13:20 +0100
The Tamino XML database (from Software AG) uses schema knowledge to optimize
queries against a database (the queries are currently written in a language
that's somewhere between XPath and XQuery). But this is a rather different
scenario, because the database can do a lot of work at document loading time
to set up metadata that's useful at query time. An XSLT processor generally
has only raw XML as its input, so there's a real risk that optimisation time
will exceed transformation time - especially if it means reading and
analysing a schema.

Another problem is that you can't bind a stylesheet to a particular schema
at the time it is compiled - though I guess one could get around that.

In short, I don't think anyone is doing this in an XSLT processor today. I
might be wrong, of course.

Mike Kay