[xsl] Several rules vs a single rule with a choose operator

Subject: [xsl] Several rules vs a single rule with a choose operator
From: "Alexander Gutman" <gutman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 16:03:05 +0700
Hello, friends.

How do you think, which of the following two approaches
is more effective (particularly, for MSXML):

  <xsl:template match="node-test[condition2]" priority="2">
    result2
  </xsl:template>
  <xsl:template match="node-test[condition1]" priority="1">
    result1
  </xsl:template>
  <xsl:template match="node-test">
    result0
  </xsl:template>

or

  <xsl:template match="node-test">
    <xsl:choose>
      <xsl:when test="condition2">result2</xsl:when>
      <xsl:when test="condition1">result1</xsl:when>
      <xsl:otherwise>result0</xsl:otherwise>
    </xsl:choose>
  </xsl:template>

The effectiveness question is important in my case,
since I employ a large set of template rules
and, moreover, apply it several times per request.

Thanks.

--
Alexander E. Gutman