Re: [xsl] XSL-FO to Pagemaker

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSL-FO to Pagemaker
From: Mike Haarman <mhaarma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 10:55:04 -0600 (CST)
Well, without specific reference to the Pagemaker file format (syntax
issues, protected chars) here is how I get XML into Quark Xpress Tags.

You won't be needing FO, what you are doing is a syntactic translation and
possible structural modification.  You will want to specify the text
output method in your stylesheet.  Your templates will return the targeted
strings wrapped with your formatting macro calls.  You would do well to
have specific and well-defined styles.  It is quite straightforward, here
is a simple example:

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"

<xsl:output method="text"/>

<xsl:template match="minor/head">
	<xsl:text>@SOI-Stock Category:</xsl:text>
	<xsl:value-of select="."/>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="security">
	<xsl:text>@SOI-Stock (.5 rule below):	</xsl:text>
	<xsl:apply-templates select="amount"/>
	<xsl:call-template name="security-data"/>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template name="security-data">
	<xsl:text>	</xsl:text><xsl:apply-templates select="name"/>
	<xsl:text>	</xsl:text><xsl:apply-templates select="value"/>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match"total|other|net">
	<xsl:text>@SOI-Stock (1pt rule below):	</xsl:text>
	<xsl:apply-templates select="description"/>
	<xsl:text>			</xsl:text>
	<xsl:apply-templates select="value"/>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="endnotes">
	<xsl:text>@Footnotes:</xsl:text>
	<xsl:value-of select="text()"/>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

The tabs inside xsl:text elements are significant formatting instructions.
Xpress Tags uses tabs to delimit table cells (evil!).  Obviously, @[name]:
is the Xpress Tags syntax for paragraph styles.

The result is imported as an Xpress tagged file into Quark.  Provided
styles corresponding to [name] are defined, the text flows in fully
styled.

YMMV, but there must be similar facilities for Pagemaker.

Mike

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Wayne Davis wrote:

> Hello,
> Does anyone here have any knowledge of a way to transform XML to Adobe
> Pagemaker format?
> Is there a commercially available tool on the market?
>
> Any info or advice on how to proceed would be much appreciated.
>
> TIA
>
> Wayne Davis
> wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> www.quietech.com

Mike Haarman -- mhaarma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
College of Liberal Arts   University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, West Bank