[xsl] reliability of MSXML

Subject: [xsl] reliability of MSXML
From: Pedro Pastor <pps@xxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 12:40:22 +0100
Hello all,

I had a curious trouble with the following program. I was using Jeni's
template for string tokenizing:

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
xmlns:str="http://exslt.org/strings"; extension-element-prefixes="str">

 <xsl:import href="str.tokenize.template.xsl"/>
<xsl:template match="//elem[@id='e69' ]">
     <term>
       <name><xsl:value-of select="@nombre"/></name>

       <xsl:variable name="items">
          <xsl:call-template name="str:tokenize">
               <xsl:with-param name="string" select="@hijos"/>
          </xsl:call-template>
      </xsl:variable>

      <xsl:for-each select="$items/token">
           <child><xsl:value-of select="."/></child>
      </xsl:for-each>
   </term>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

As a result, while Saxon 6.4.4 does evering all right, MSXML 3.0 give me
the following error:

"Reference to a variable o parameter 'items' must evaluate to a node
list".

The questions are:

Is this the "normal" behaviour for MSXML 3.0 or maybe I have to update
that software with some patch ?

Is there any brand new version of MSXML more "adherent" to XSLT 1.0
specifications (what about the XSLT processor in the IE 6.0) ?

I am not very keen on MSXML (neither expert on this product), but the
great majority of the "target audience" for our developments are. At the
end, the question is: How reliable is MS's XSLT technology on the client
side ??

Thank you very much in advance.

Pedro Pastor
University of Alicante (Spain).