Re: [xsl] HTML Tidy on FO files

Subject: Re: [xsl] HTML Tidy on FO files
From: Jörg Heinicke <joerg.heinicke@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 15:59:10 +0100
I think you don't need HTML Tidy. I would avoid it and try to make better XSL-FO output with Saxon/Xalan instead. Set the output-indent to no (this is standard too) and force your linebreaks where you want them by using <xsl:text>&#10;</xsl:text>.

> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <doc>
> linebreaks
> </doc>

You seem to have some text-nodes with linebreaks in it in your XSL. If 'No linebreaks' stands in the XML already, use normalize-space() in your XSL.

Hope this helps,

Joerg

Gustaf Liljegren wrote:

I wish to remove all unnecessary linebreaks inside <fo:block> elements. I've
been using HTML Tidy for this:

char-encoding: latin1
input-xml: yes
numeric-entities: yes
output-xml: yes
wrap: 0
write-back: no

The problem is that Tidy insists on adding a new line for each new element.

XML:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<doc>
linebreaks
</doc>

FO (after Saxon/Xalan):

<fo:block>No
linebreaks
<fo:inline font-weight="bold">here</fo:inline>, please.</fo:block>

FO (after HTML Tidy):
<fo:block>No linebreaks
<fo:inline>here</fo:inline>
, please.</fo:block>