RE: [xsl] Q on ISO TimeDate convertion

Subject: RE: [xsl] Q on ISO TimeDate convertion
From: Mark Nahabedian <naha@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 11:05:08 -0500
Michael Kay writes:
 > > The problems I have not solved:
 > >
 > > 0:30 or 12:30 or 24:30?
 > >
 > > And according to this: Where is AM/PM-bound? 12 to 1 o'clock
 > > or 11 to 0 o'clock?
 > >
 > Best to avoid tackling this problem if you're not familiar with the
 > peculiarities of the American system. Half-past-midnight is definitely 12:30
 > am (on the following day), and half-past-noon is (I seem to remember) 12:30
 > pm, but when it comes to midnight and noon, it all depends who you talk to.

12:00am is the middle of the night when many people (apart from Mike,
who, judging from the timestamps on his postings, never sleeps) are
asleep.  12:00pm is "the middle of the day, at least for farmers, when
one traditionally eats lunch.  Think of 12 as really meaning 0 and the
am/pm as being the high order bit of the time of day.

The point I'm unclear about is whether 12:00am belongs to the same day
as 11:59pm or as 12:01am.

 > They'll be asking to do pounds, shillings and pence next.

I think that for as long as we've had a national currency, it's been
decimal.  Imagine how funny our spreadsheets looked when the stock
exchanges started pricing shares in $1/16ths.