Re: [xsl] Beginner's question: Mathematical Calculations in XSL Template

Subject: Re: [xsl] Beginner's question: Mathematical Calculations in XSL Template
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 17:37:15 GMT
> Everything that I am finding when I search on-line for help in
> performing mathematical calculations in xsl gives me an example like I
> sent previously.

Apart from the fact that you were not using XSL the syntax looked about
right (I seem to have deleted your original, so can't check) the
number() function would be optional, as the values of the elements
should coerce to number anyway.

But this assumes  xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";
If you are using the WD-xsl namespace then that is an entirely different
language (and not the subject of this list) and honestly I can't
remember how it worked in that dialect. Really if you are, as you say, a
beginner you don't want to learn that dialect which is only available on
one platform and deprecated even there) If you use the standard
XSLT language you'll find things a lot easier.

I don't know where you searched but the following sites are good.

www.dpawson.co.uk (FAQ for this list)
www.zvon.org      (nice tutorials)
http://www.netcrucible.com/ (FAQ on Microsoft implementations: you want to start here)
http://www.jenitennison.com/ (Jeni's site, loats of good tips)

or just type wd-xsl into the search box for the archives of this list
and you'll see 10001 responses to people explaining why using that old
namespace doesn't work with any real XSL system (and how to update IE5
to use XSLT)

David