RE: [xsl] Better Error Handling with XSL

Subject: RE: [xsl] Better Error Handling with XSL
From: "Michael Kay" <michael.h.kay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 10:18:02 -0000
> I have a template file (StringUtils.XSL) which contains
> templates on how to
> format phone numbers, parse SSN's, etc.  In my main XSL
> document i imported
> it at follows:
> <xsl:import href="StringUtils.XSL"/>.  My first few attempts
> failed and i
> recieved the error - "The system cannot locate the object
> specified".  It
> didn't take me too long to figure out what was wrong - i
> didn't specify the
> correct directory for StringUtils.xsl.  Does anyone know how
> i can tell IE
> to return more helpful errors?

You can get better error handling if you invoke the processor from
JavaScript and explicitly call the methods that return the error information
and process it yourself. But for debugging, I'd recommend either using a
tool such as Excelon Stylus that does this for you, or if you want something
free, use a standalone processor such as Saxon or Xalan. Of course this may
not be feasible if your stylesheet will only run in the browser.

Mike Kay