Re: [xsl] Binary output

Subject: Re: [xsl] Binary output
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 14:18:43 GMT
> but the question is, will Xalan
> have a fit if I use characters like &#x0; (ASCII 0) ???

No, because it won't see it, as &#x0; (or any other representation of
character 0) is not XML, so will be rejected by the XML parser (probably
xerces) before xalan gets started. The only characters below 32 are 9 10
and 13.

> t may be that I have to choose a different method for accomplishing this --
> for example, just using C++ to create the binary file from the xml
> file.

You need to invent an XML representation of the byte stream, and then
use something otherthan xslt to convert thatrepresentation into a binary
file. If your xslt engine supports that you could map that back into
xslt as a non standard output type, so that the conversion was done
automatically on output. (As I recall, xt had just such a non standard
output type)

David