Re: [xsl] orphans and widows??

Subject: Re: [xsl] orphans and widows??
From: Greg Martel <gregm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 09:18:31 -0600
In publishing, "orphans" and "widows" are terms used almost interchangeably both referring to runover lines of text. If a paragraph has 5 full lines of text and one word on the sixth line, that last word is referred to as an "orphan." A paragraph which starts on one page where the last line of the paragraph starts at the top of the next page is also called an "orphan." Finally, a "widow" is a paragraph which starts at the bottom of a page where only the first line fits on the bottom of the page and the rest is continued on the next page. Because the terms are often used interchangeably, your friend is telling you to "make orphans" by increasing the tracking--space between characters--of your text in order to create more runover lines or by rebreaking lines manually.

If you are trying to do this automatically in order to preserve SPECIFIC page breaks then your friend's suggestion is probably a poor one. You would have to go paragraph by paragraph to adjust each one accordingly. If you are using a typesetting software of some kind, so you should probably find out:

a) If there is any way to find or create a page break code in your XML
b) What the code is for a page break in your typesetting software and have XSL replace the old code (assuming you are able to add it) with the new code.

hope that helps a little.

I am doing some work in FO and it has been suggested that in order to force
data from one page to another I can use orphans and widows.

I have no idea what they are, can anyone advise a site in which orphans and
widows are explained and examples given?

Thanks.

Tanz

-- Thanks Muchos,

Greg Martel