RE: [xsl] xsl:param and replace.xsl

Subject: RE: [xsl] xsl:param and replace.xsl
From: "Michael Kay" <michael.h.kay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 10:03:40 -0000
> > An XSLT processor produces a result tree from a source tree.
> > The source tree
> > is immutable. It would be possible in principle for the
> > serialized result
> > file to overwrite the original serialized input file, but I
> > can't see a good
> > reason for wanting to do that, and many good reasons for
> not doing it.
>
> I've just spent the last week doing that in a python program.
> Requirement was to convert an e-book from version x to version y.
> Needed all the same filenames, variant (transformed) content.
>
> rename original to .bak
> transform xxx.bak to xxx.xml
>
> 'transformInPlace' was the function name.
>
> That's the use case anyway.

Well, I spent many years of my life using an operating system with versioned
filestore, where you would naturally have done a transformation from file X
to file X, with the implicit meaning that you were creating a new version.
So it seems natural to me too. But unfortunately we're all stuck with using
1960s operating systems nowadays.

Mike Kay