Re[2]: [xsl] How can I avoid generating META tag of html?

Subject: Re[2]: [xsl] How can I avoid generating META tag of html?
From: Maxim Patramanskij <max@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 16:22:01 +0200
Hello Julian,

JR> *Why* do you want that?

JR> Hint: don't say it's because you think the information is wrong.

I will try to explain. I have a servlet, which implements site search.
It generates search result in xml and then tells to transformer to
apply transformation, having template. As well as I want to have
output multilanguage, all language-specific information stored in
Unicode format in .properties files and then selected according to
sending by browser http header Accept-language.
So, depending on browser's language, result's charset could be either
ISO-8859-1, Cp1251, at the moment. I set encoding value to the

response.setContentType("text/html; charset=" + encoding)

and then do transformation:

transformer.transform(new DOMSource(xmlDoc), new StreamResult(response.getWriter()))

If the browser's language was ru (Russian), I see nothing in browser,
untill manually change browser's encoding from UTF-8 to
Cyrilic(Windows), which is Cp1251. I do think it happens because
transformer creates the following in html head:

<META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">

To avoid this behavior, I should additionaly do the following:

 transformer.setOutputProperty(OutputKeys.ENCODING, encoding);

before starting the transformation.

But after that, locale specific symbols (Cyrilic) became a sequence of
Unicode:

<title>&#1056;&#1077;&#1079;&#1091;&#1083;&#1100;&#1090;&#1072;</title>

That's why I'm asking, how to avoid <meta...> generating to let browser
decide content encoding from http headers.

Max