Re: [xsl] Re: XPath incompatibilities

Subject: Re: [xsl] Re: XPath incompatibilities
From: Joerg Pietschmann <joerg.pietschmann@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 17:50:39 +0100
Jeni Tennison <jeni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I guess that one possibility that would help in the case of < would be
> to convert the nodes to whatever type they look like. If they look
> like numbers, treat them as numbers; if they look like dates, treat
> them as dates and so on.

I beg to disagree: is 02020202 a number or a date? It is better to
flag an error instead of trying to read minds. If some data is meant
to be a date, it is a good idea to have this expressed somewhere,
either in a type declaration in a schema, or by using explicit
conversion functions in the expression.
Explicit type conversions might also be good for optimizations.

Regards
J.Pietschmann