[xsl] XSL, SSL, IE, and Caching

Subject: [xsl] XSL, SSL, IE, and Caching
From: Evan Child <Evan_Child@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 08:19:27 -0700
I tried to post this yesterday, and I apologize if it went through, but I
have not been able to find it anywhere.

For bandwidth purposes I would like the browser to perform a conditional
get, checking to see if a particular style sheet has changed. I am able to
set the headers under Apache to be the following:
<Files *.xsl>
Header append Cache-Control "public, must-revalidate"
</Files>
This works under plain http, and IE 5.x simply revalidates the stylesheet
that it has(in other words, checks to see that it has the latest copy).
Looking in the access_log for Apache, there is a 304 status code for these
requests.
However, under https/ssl, it doesn't appear that IE even attempts to
revalidate, but simply re-submits the request for the stylesheet,
disregarding the caching header placed on the file. Does anyone have any
experience caching xsl stylesheets under https, either using Apache or some
other web server with IE 5.x and above?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Evan Child