[xsl] XSLT/XPath 2.0: a USEFUL way to provide lexical info

Subject: [xsl] XSLT/XPath 2.0: a USEFUL way to provide lexical info
From: "Matt G." <matt_g_@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2002 08:17:19
In Appendix F of the XSLT 2.0 WD, there's a proposal for an optional feature of XSLT processors, in which lexical information, such as entity definitions and references, could be provided to stylesheets. As specified, however, I think it might be too much effort for stylesheet writers to take advantage of this feature without completely depending on it. In fact, even if one does depend on it, it still seems quite cumbersome to use.

I think, as a user, I'd rather see a "lexical" XPath axis (pair?), to let me hop back & forth between the tree w/ the lexical constructs and without. I think this would be much easier to use, and its use could be better encapsulated within a small number of templates.

I envision that the "lexical" XPath axis could be an optional feature of XPath 2.0, just as support of the lexical constructs are proposed as an optional feature of XSLT processors.

Does anyone like this idea or see any fundamental problems with it? Perhaps it's too late for XSLT/XPath 2.0, but I really think it's the most sensible approach to dealing with lexical information (particularly entity references).

Matthew Gruenke