RE: [xsl] quick table layout problem

Subject: RE: [xsl] quick table layout problem
From: "Andrew Welch" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 15:21:21 -0000
Thanks David,

>> What is the best xpath expression to match the <entry> element, without
>> using //?
>
>match="entry"
>
>(although maybe you meant to ask a different question)

:) yeah...

Take the following: (this is a simplification of the XML file I posted
earlier)

<a>
  <b>
  <b>
  <b>
    <c>
      <d>
      <d>
        <e>
    </c>
    <f>
      <g>
      <g>
        <e>
    </f>
  </b>
</a>

What xpath expression will match the first <e>, without using //

As a point of interest, what kind of performance hit does using // give?  Is
it bad practice to use // ?

Regarding xpath visualiser, I have used that in the past and it is very
useful.  However, it doesnt let me find out the xpath of one element, based
on the position of another - that would be a worthwhile addition.

>It is inevitable that some of us will use this list as a place to moan
>(sorry, I mean comment) on the new X*2 drafts, however please don't let
>that stop people asking beginner questions. (unless of course the
>beginner question involves the-language-known-as-xsl-in-ie5 in which
>case, as is well known, the beginner will be flamed and hounded off the
>list with no mercy:-)

Excellent, the list lives on.

many thanks

andrew