[xsl] distinct moves problem

Subject: [xsl] distinct moves problem
From: "Ahmad J. Reeves" <ahmad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 14:22:39 +0000
Hi Dimitre,

Yes I do actually mean the moves a character makes in document order
through either different rooms or back to the same room. In the xml file
each <DIRECT> node encompasses a single message sent by one character to
either  a single individual or to many individuals in different
locations.The <TIME> tags  show when each one was sent. They are all in
chronological order as defined by the <Serial> tag. So the idea is to get
an individuals movements in and out of rooms from the start to the end of
the log. e.g

  45040 - he started in this room
> 45030 - he moved to this room
> 45020 - he moved to this room
> 45020 - he's still in this room and sent another message
> 45020 - ditto
> 45040 - he's moved to this room
> 45040 - he's still in this room and sent another message
> 45020 - he's back in this room again

This tell's me he made 4 moves overall, gonig to different rooms and
eventually back to the original one he was in. The only problem is that
they can send hundreds of messages from the same room, so it would be nice
to have say if there were more than one message from the same room, to
ignore them until he moved to a new room. So instead of the above we would
get:-

  45040 - he started in this room
> 45030 - he moved to this room
> 45020 - he moved to this room
> 45040 - he's moved to this room
> 45020 - he's back in this room again

Cheers

Ahmad

At 04:35 AM 1/9/02 -0800, you wrote:

>--- "Ahmad J. Reeves" <ahmad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi Dimitre and all,
>>
>> I've just noticed that the list generated doesnt allow
>> for the fact that an individual may return to the same room
>> after he has left it. Rather it lists, I think, all of the
>> unique rooms he has passed through.
>
>Hi Ahmad,
> I really thought that you wanted the number of distinct rooms visited. I
do not
>understand completely what do you mean by "distinct moves", e.g. how many
distinct
>moves will a character have performed if he visited the following rooms in
document
>order:
>
> 45040
> 45030
> 45020
> 45020
> 45020
> 45040
> 45040
>
>Also, it is not clear that document order is the same as chronological
order, and
>there's no date/time information in the xml files you provided.
>
>In case these are precisely defined, there should be an appropriate solution.
>
>Cheers,
>Dimitre Novatchev.

>Send your FREE holiday greetings online!
>http://greetings.yahoo.com

Ahmad J Reeves BSc (Hons) MSc (Dist) PhD Student
Information, Media & Communication Research Group
Department of Computer Science
Queen Mary, University of London
E1 4NS
Tel +44(0) 207 882 5257