RE: RE: Regular expression functions (Was: Re: [xsl] comments on December F&O draft)

Subject: RE: RE: Regular expression functions (Was: Re: [xsl] comments on December F&O draft)
From: "Bryan Rasmussen" <bry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 09:35:54 +0100
>>Well I wouldn't like to see xslt become just another way of applying
>>regexes (and it never would)...

are you sure? I sort of worry about this, the problem that people with
skills in regex would have try to write minimal xslt and do regex instead. I
have the same worry with xpath 2.0 to be honest, that people will try to do
their processing with the conditional expressions and for syntax and that
furthermore this make debugging harder(cause there's two places things could
have an error right?) maybe I'm just a worrywart or I've
misread/misunderstood stuff I've seen here and in the spec, but it makes me
think of this article that was in Dr. Dobbs a few months back where someone
was going to make a translations dictionary, I was interested cause I'd just
recently done the same thing with xslt, a single template and a couple
parameters, so in this article they write an extension to xalan, about a
page and a half of java code, then they write something similar to the
following template in their xslt:

<xsl:template match="/">

<h3><xsl:value-of select="TranslateThis('Hello World')"/></h3>
</xsl:template>

the upshot was what a useful language xslt was(what's the emoticon for
sarcasm?)