RE: [xsl] XSLT match with regex what's the best current solution?

Subject: RE: [xsl] XSLT match with regex what's the best current solution?
From: "Marc Portier" <mpo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 23:21:15 +0100
Hi Thomas,

> > as you can read in the regular expression thread
> > http://www.biglist.com/lists/xsl-list/archives/200201/msg00488.html and
> > further on, we are working on a tool which might be helpful for your
> > purposes.
> >
> > It is some mixture between regexes and an XSLT-like language, and we
> > have called it regexslt. It is implemented in Java, and could be some
> > sort of pre-processor to transform your non-XML documents into XML and
> > use XSLT thereafter. It is by no means as sophisticated as Omnimark and
> > the like, but you would be welcome to give it a try if you would be
> > interested.
> >
> > You'll find some code samples in the thread I referred to - and we will
> > announce the first dot-oo release on this list (which would coincide
> > with a new release of our website). If we can gather enough community
> > around it, we would consider it becoming a Sourceforge project.
>
> i read through the messages you pointed at, but could not find a link
> for actually getting the project. i guess there is no release so far.
none public, no

> i'd be interested in this solution, since i am looking for a way to
this is motivation... :-)

> process a non xml word-2000 html document and transform it to docbook
> xml in a cocoon pipeline.

now this _is_ a use case, have to admit far higher then what we've been
testing it on for now, if you don't mind discussing features and reporting
bugs while we're going (and maybe waiting for their implementation/fix) this
could be something for you (if you now Java you might want to step in
eventually)

being cocoon addicts ourselves, we have the cocoon-generator version built
in the package
(one of the ant-deploy-y-targets in our build is to push the thing onto your
tomcat under the automount of cocoon so you can start of with some examples.
Yours would be great to have in there :-))

> are there more information available?
Steven wrote a sort of a requirements doc and draft of our little syntax for
ourselves (there is also a xsd), current development has somewhat
sidetracked from that, since we're still discovering the problem domain
while solving it... dunno when/how Steven is planning on syncing again and
completing the documentation. (it will be up with the rest, hopefully soon)

Biggest item on our current todolist is moving our cvs server to linux, and
finally apply the new look of our website, we were planning a zip-release of
regexslt together with that launch.

> whats the state of the project?
pre .00 as Steven stated...
plenty of todo's and moving as we go allong, but we always have a working
version in cvs... hard to catch the state in alpha or beta terms, since
knowing were we will end up is as much a journey for us as it will be to
anyone ever using it, having at all stages in that process a
clean/working/functional/usefull thing is far more important I guess...

getting stuff like this in some official XSLT 2 or later is a different
thread of execution, this mail-thread has kinda balanced on both

more on status/stability we use jaxp and jakarta oro, those are pretty
stable, our thingy should be a skinny layer on top, big idea currently is to
have regexslt induce needed markup, but then use xslt afterwards to pollish
it up. (easy in cocoon in every case)

as you might of have read in this list earlier: there are _known_
limitations of the regex approach an sich, we still think however that keen
xslt work (the kinda sniff stuff you can catch on this list) should be able
to come around most of them...

return question: what's the timeframe to solving your word-docbook issue?

regards,
-marc=