[xsl] Re: distinct moves problem

Subject: [xsl] Re: distinct moves problem
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 22:14:25 -0800 (PST)
Hi Ahmad,

--- "Ahmad J. Reeves" <ahmad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Dimitre,
>
> Many thanks for that solution, It worked perfectly on the smaller
> file I tested it on. I am parsing xml files that are roughly 20meg
> and even after 4hrs of processing it still hadnt finished! Due
> to time constraints I actually had to go to the old version and
> count them manually ignoring the duplicates! Anyway, I'll have to
> get a faster machine. Many thanks Dimitre.

Processing such very big files in XSLT is will not lead to good
performance. There's a certain limit of what can be done efficiently,
depending on the amount of RAM available. Mike Kay pointed out that
processing XML files of size 10MB "is about the limit, depending of
course on how much memory you have" .

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/xsl-list/2001-09/msg00666.html

> Another question I have is that would it be possible to alter the
> same stylesheet so that it could produce a list of all of the
> locations
> in ascending order and the total number of people who were in that
> location
> without the duplicates i.e. where they sent more than one message in
> the
> same room e.g.
>
> Location   # Characters
> 12343           12
> 12355           44
> 13655           133
> 54333           66
>
> etc etc?

I'll need some time to look into this, but it may be useful if in the
meantime you think of splitting your huge XML file into smaller files
and how to organise their processing.

Cheers,
Dimitre.