[xsl] generating an HTML web hierarchy from XML using XSLT

Subject: [xsl] generating an HTML web hierarchy from XML using XSLT
From: Saverio Perugini <sperugin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 16:24:03 -0500 (EST)

Is XSLT capable of transforming an XML file modeling [only] the schema of a
web site into to an actual HTML web hierarchy?

i.e. Can XSLT transform the following XML

into the following web site where XML element names correspond to
link labels (edges or <a href's> in the web hierarchy).

           / | \
        a /  | e \ g
        /    |    \
      2      3    4
    / | \    |   / \
 b /  |c \d  |f /h  \i
  /   |  |   |  |   |
 |    |  |   |  |   |
u1   u2  u3  u4 u5  u6

(apologies for the ill-formed ascii site-map)

If possible, I surmise that this task entails using XSLT to perfrom a
depth-first search of the XML input graph and creating a new HTML file
(and adding an <a href> to it for each child) every time a child
is encountered.

Is XSLT capable of creating multiple output files and manipulating and
switching between them while processing? which this task seems to

If possible, do you recommend I take the XSLT approach or use a technology
like PHP or JSP?

Many Thanks,

Saverio Perugini