Re: [xsl] How to Create Side Heads in XSL-FO

Subject: Re: [xsl] How to Create Side Heads in XSL-FO
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 08:26:38 -0500
At 2002-01-22 18:15 -0600, W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
I think I could do it using either a single-item fo:list or a single-row
table but I'm thinking that it must be easier and that I'm just missing
the obvious.

If you regarding <list> and <table> constructs as merely layout facilities that reflect the kind of layout you need, these do turn out to be the easiest.

Can anyone offer some advice? For example, I need to format a chapter
title on a page where the body text is indented to 72pts creating an
offset column layout. The chapter number is left justified against the
page edge (left margin) and the title text is in the offset column.

What obvious thing about block placement am I missing in order to see
how to solve this problem in the simplest way?

Given your use of the phrase "block placement", I suppose you could put an inline-container in your block, forcing the size to fit your chapter number and causing the effect of indenting the title text.

But, personally I would have just used either the <list> or <table> because of its ease of use and because they exist because of their unique layout functionality and ease, not because of any historical semantic of the purpose of a list or table information construct.

I hope this helps, Eliot.

............................. Ken

-- Upcoming: 3-days XSLT/XPath and/or 2-days XSLFO - Feb 18-22, 2002

G. Ken Holman                mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Crane Softwrights Ltd.         http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                        Definitive XSLT & XPath
ISBN 1-894049-08-X  Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-07-1               Practical Formatting Using XSLFO
XSL/XML/DSSSL/SGML/OmniMark services, books(electronic, printed),
articles, training(instructor-live,Internet-live,web/CD,licensed)
Next public training:  02-02-11,12,14,15,18,21,03-04,05,06,08,11,
-                                04-08,09,10,12,05-14,15,06-04,07