Re: [xsl] Keeping "&" in xml data when parsed

Subject: Re: [xsl] Keeping "&" in xml data when parsed
From: "Jonathan Perret" <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 15:59:55 +0100
James Knight wrote :
> My database is pulling out a company name, "A & B", and writing it into an
> xml file.
> When I try to parse the xml through a stylesheet, I get a complaint that
> the entity name must follow the ampersand immediately, i.e. the parser
> thinks it's a mis-typed entity.

The stylesheet does not parse the "xml", the XML parser does. The entity
error occurs way before your stylesheet starts running.

The problem is that your database is not writing an XML file : "&" alone
in parsed character data is an error. Therefore you will not be able
to use XML tools, much less XSLT on that file.

The only sensible recourse would be to fix the database software so that
it outputs "A &amp; B" in such cases...

Cheers,
--Jonathan