Re: [xsl] RE:read-write same url in xslt 2 [was appendig to multiple output files]

Subject: Re: [xsl] RE:read-write same url in xslt 2 [was appendig to multiple output files]
From: Francis Norton <francis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 19:09:06 +0000
Hi Mike,

I'd be very pleased to see some support for some kind of piped processing.

I would really to call web services from XSLT - and no, I don't mean the trivial ones that you can address with HTTP GET, I mean SOAP-style, with a proper XML query message.

Could the new xsl:document element be used for this - can it receive a return message? In which case, could it also be used to implement simple in-process piping?

Francis.

Michael Kay wrote:

I guess what I'm asking for is that xslt 2.0 should have at
least something
like saxon:next-in-chain. I've read through the spec a couple
times haven't
seen anything there, or anything that dealt with piping
transformation but I
could well have missed it. Is there?

The XSL WG is debating a recent proposal for something called <xsl:apply-transformation> which would apply a stylesheet to a source tree and return the document node of the result tree. There are various views on how it might work in detail, but there seems to be a reasonable level of enthusiasm that something along these lines should be provided. But as often happens, the devil will be in the detail.

Mike Kay