Re: [xsl] Inserting xml:namespace and prefixed elements into html output

Subject: Re: [xsl] Inserting xml:namespace and prefixed elements into html output
From: "W. Sierke" <wsierke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 13:35:51 +1030
>  I'm attempting to generate html output containing vml and following a
>  vml example, I'm trying to insert:
>  <xml:namespace prefix="v"/>
>

> If you are generating html then XSLT won't use th eXML /> empty element
> syntax, and won't allow an element name starting with XML (as teh XMl
> REC reserves these)
>
> Similarly if you are using the xml output method then XSLT would use the
> /> syntax but still can not allow an element called xml...
>
> Doesn't the microsoft weird-namespace-use-in-html system have an option
> of a processing instruction syntax for namespaces?

Ah! Thanks for the reply. It prompted me to discover two things:

    IE(6) is just as happy to see the <? ... ?> syntax
and
    Adding:  xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml"   to the xslt
declarations results in the <HTML> tag in the xslt being inserted as <HTML
xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml">, obviating the need for the
<xml:namespace....> element.

And now it all works.

Many thanks,

Wayne