RE: [xsl] Need 3 good reasons why XSLT is better than JSP+Velocit y

Subject: RE: [xsl] Need 3 good reasons why XSLT is better than JSP+Velocit y
From: Joshua.Kuswadi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 10:17:45 +1100
> 1) Portability. I have moved my XSLT based sites from IIS on Win2K to
> Apache/Jakarta on Win2K and Linux to Perl on Linux with very
> little change
> in the XSLT content.

Java is just as portable in my mind.

> 2) Developer Buy-in. Believe it or not, not everyone uses
> Velocity (for that
> matter, not altogether that many people use JSP). To me it seems
> syntactically a little better than the JSP architecture (at
> least I can
> generate it as XML, if I'm careful), but it has a very small
> segment of the
> total mind-share of even servlet developers.

<opinion type="personal">I expect JSP to be more prevalent than XSLT</opinion>

> 3) YEPL - Any language that binds presentation with output
> places fairly
> strong limitations of the Model/View/Controller architecture.
> XSLT is not
> immune from this, of course, but  I can in fact use multiple
> pass XSLT to
> make the coupling very weak. Velocity seems to me more like a
> cleaned up
> version of what JSP was intended to be.

Again, my personal opinion, but I consider XSLT YEPL. Maybe it would be more correct as YEML, and markup languages seem to be popping up every week ;-)

> Oh, and a fourth -
>
> 4) Namespaces. As languages such as SVG becoming more
> commonplace inline,
> you're going to find that being able to  better control the
> multiplicity of
> namespaces with something like XSLT than with a specifically dedicated
> procedural language, especially since XSLT does have the recursive
> advantage. Namespace support requires some real hoop jumping
> in Velocity.

4a) Even that other markup becomes more commonplace is an advantage, as it is easily integrated, ie inline.

Joshua

This message and any attachment is confidential and may be privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  If you have received it by mistake please let us know by reply and then delete it from your system; you should not copy the message or disclose its contents to anyone.