RE: [xsl] asp and xsl

Subject: RE: [xsl] asp and xsl
From: "Kovach, Dave" <dave.kovach@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 07:27:37 +0100
Gene,

It's not really possible - though you can do 1 of 2 things:

1) rename your xsl as .asp so the asp dll does pre-processing
server-side to what is just an xsl stylesheet

2) use the msxml namespace and use xsl:eval

e.g -

	<xsl:eval language="VBScript">myFunkyFunction()</xsl:eval>

See the following:
http://www.topxml.com/xsl/articles/scripting/examples.asp?id=1

Embedding a complete active server page in an xslt is not practical,
is not reasonable to expect it to work, and defy's the logic behind
the rescursive behavior of XSLT. (i.e. - its much too difficult).
Make life easier:

Leave business logic in asp pages (pull back data from a dbms or
whatever) and have them create xml data and transform it via msxml
engine into html/xhtml whatever... using xsl stylesheets... xsl can
be very dynamic type documents by using PARAMS and even passing in
complete nodesets...

Just my thoughts as I have been hacking
around with ASP and XML/XSL recently alot,

David Kovach
SAP Labs
Palo Alto, CA