Re: [xsl] How to assign a value and reuse a global variable

Subject: Re: [xsl] How to assign a value and reuse a global variable
From: Trevor Nash <tcn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 19:58:57 +0000
>What I am trying to is this.
>At the very top level of my xsl doc I a declare an empty variable with no values
>like this
>
><xsl:variable name ="monday"/>

Strictly speaking this gives you a variable whose value is an empty
string - not quite the same thing as 'no value'.

>now in my temlates at run time I want to assign this variable a value of
>
><xsl:variable name = "$monday" select = "'Monday'"/>

There is no assignment statement in XSLT.  What you are doing is
creating a *new* variable whose name is $monday (rather than simply
monday).  $monday is not a legal variable name, so your processor
should be signalling an error.

>Now first of all is it possible to do?If it is then is my syntactic approach
>is valid,and if it is then how come I don't see the value I set for monday :-)

It depends what you are trying to do.  It may be as simple as putting
<xsl:variable name = "monday" select = "'Monday'"/>

(in which case the top level declaration is probably unnecessary).

If not, you will need to tell us what your stylesheet is trying to
achieve.

Regards,
Trevor Nash
--
Traditional training & distance learning,
Consultancy by email

Melvaig Software Engineering Limited
voice:     +44 (0) 1445 771 271
email:     tcn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx