Re: [xsl] PDF Conversion

Subject: Re: [xsl] PDF Conversion
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 14:13:41 -0500
Vasu,

Unfortunately in this forum we're not able to tell you in detail "how it's done" -- the answer is "it depends". But we can help you get started.

XSL has two different pieces you'll need. XSLFO (formatting objects) is an XML language that you can use to specify how a document should be printed or displayed. XSLT is a language used to tell a piece of software (an XSLT "transformation engine") how it should convert from one form of XML into another. So basically the process is one of using XSLT (you can think of it as a programming language, but it's actually closer to a "processing specification" language) to generate XSLFO from your source XML. Then XSLFO, in your case, would be converted into PDF. This last step is done with another piece of software, a "Formatter". (The fo.jar that you've gotten is probably meant for this.)

VasuXML + XSLT => XSLT engine => XSLFO => XSLFO formatter => PDF

Assuming your source XML is all ready, the only thing you actually have to write is the XSLT that is applied to your source to generate the XSLFO: processors take care of the rest.

So your first step is to master XSLT.

There are any number of books available that go into the details. For your purposes, I'd recommend Neil Bradley's "XSL Companion": it's very good on the concepts and on how the pieces fit together, without getting too deep for the beginner. It can be used to solve the first 80% of the problems you'll encounter. After you've mastered the basics, you can move on to something deeper. (Others may have their own favorite starter books, which I hope they'll recommend.)

I hope that helps,
Wendell