Re: [xsl] Problems with characters

Subject: Re: [xsl] Problems with characters
From: "Ragulf Pickaxe" <jawxml@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 07:56:04 +0000
Hello Poul Terray,

I can see that the characters did not show well.

Perhaps the answer lies in the unability to display this mail's text as well. Using the link that you gave me, I will try to explain better:

Rather than displaying the Danish characters of ¿,¸ and å the presentation
Well, the above was supposed to show ae, oe and aa:
[ æ ] (&#xE6; ) LATIN SMALL LETTER AE (ash) * LATIN SMALL LIGATURE AE; ash (from Old English &#27875;)
[ ø ] (&#xF8; ) LATIN SMALL LETTER O WITH STROKE LATIN SMALL LETTER O SLASH
[ å ] (&#xE5; ) LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH RING ABOVE
(The only one that was showed correctly)

is the following:
æ instead of ¿
The left character now depicts what I intended it to show but in the homepage it shows as:
[ &#281; ] (&#x119; ) LATIN SMALL LETTER E WITH OGONEK
ø instead of ¸
The left chacter also suddently showed the correct character in this mail, but the homepage showed this as:
(It does not show what I see but I see the charater like u with same IGONEK as the former character or perhaps as greek character (the one used in measuring meaning 1e-6)).
å is depicted as å
This one is the only one showing the correct result all over (also on the HTML page).

They don't go through the mail. Are you sure they are in iso-8859-1 ?
They might not be in the database, even though they should. As I wrote in the first mail, I use encoding="8859-1" and get this result so I guess that the database must use something else - but this is only my guess, as I don't know about this at all.

To check that, go to :
http://www.zvon.org/other/charSearch/PHP/search.php

Type your character and look at the Subblock.

It shows what is in the mail, not what I actually see.

What database do you use ?

I am not quite sure (as I don't know that much about this stuff) but is shown as: Microsoft SQL Server or Microsoft SQL Server 2000. I don't know if this is enough information.

If anyone can tell me whether I should find out how to change the settings in the database (the characters are shown correctly looking directly at the rows in the database), or if this is a problem that might be in the stylesheet (all my other stylesheets uses 8859-1 with no problems), then I will be very gratefull.

Thank you all,
Ragulf Pickaxe :)