Re: [xsl] sort and collating sequence

Subject: Re: [xsl] sort and collating sequence
From: Jeff Kenton <jkenton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 13:36:36 -0500 (EST)
xsl:sort gives "dictionary order", so what you see is according to
specification.  As programmers we are used to sorting by ASCII code, but
this is intentionally different.

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, Paul Bell wrote:

..Hi All,
..
..I recently scoured the xsl-list digest in search of information about
..how the several xsl:sort implementations construe the notion of a
..'collating sequence'.  My own observation is that xsl:sort (msxml3 at
..least) does a kind of 'semantic sorting'. For example, the values:
..
..aaa
..bbb
..ccc
..AAA
..BBB
..CCC
..
..sorted order="ascending" data-type="text" are presented as:
..
..aaa
..AAA
..bbb
..BBB
..ccc
..CCC
..
..I work at a company that knows a little about sorting and I find this
..sequence odd. Shouldn't it be:
..
..AAA
..BBB
..CCC
..aaa
..bbb
..ccc
..
..This behavior seems so wrong to me, yet it is so unremarked in the
..digest that I feel I must be missing something huge. Can anyone shed
..any light on the correctness of this behavior? Is it unique to msxml3?
..Can one use xsl:sort to produce what seems to me the proper sequence?
..