RE: [xsl] Calculation of Minimum or Maximum value of an element

Subject: RE: [xsl] Calculation of Minimum or Maximum value of an element
From: "Michael Kay" <michael.h.kay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 09:33:09 -0000
Here are four techniques you can use:

1. Use the XPath expression

       A[not(../A &lt; .)]
   which finds all A elements that have no other A whose value is
smaller. This expression has quadratic performance.

2. Sort the list and (using the xx:node-set() extension) select the
first or last in sorted order. This has (n log n) performance.

3. Use a recursive template. This has linear performance.

4. Use a library routine, such as the EXSLT min() function: see
www.exslt.org.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@xxxxxxxxxxxx