Re: [xsl] namespace problems???

Subject: Re: [xsl] namespace problems???
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 12:01:21 -0700 (MST)
SAL ROSALES Jr. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't know if this is actually a names pace problem
> but here it is. I have a few XSL files that set [...]

>  xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";

Here you have said that elements, attributes and XPath function calls bearing
the xsl: prefix in their names are in the http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform
namespace. When those things are associated with this URI, it means that they
are XSLT 1.0 instructions and functions, which are what you should be using.

>  xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl";

Here you have said that the elements with the xsl: prefix are instructions
from an obsolete pre-1.0 working draft (Dec 1998) that Microsoft decided to
support in MSXML2 and has never given up on. There is no practical reason to
use this except if you want your code to work within the version of MSXML that
ships with IE5, and do not want to make people download MSXML3 via a simple
ActiveX control.

See http://www.netcrucible.com/ for the MSXML FAQ which will explain further.
This FAQ is also on the MSDN site, where you can seek answers to further
WD-xsl namespace questions.

Look here for conformance charts for various MSXML versions:
http://www.vbxml.com/xsl/XSLTRef.asp
http://www.vbxml.com/xsl/XPathRef.asp

...It will probably explain why you can't use param in the obsolete namespace.

   - Mike