Re: [xsl] Navigation using XPath

Subject: Re: [xsl] Navigation using XPath
From: Allister Jenks <arj@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 22:10:11 +1300
On Wednesday, 13 November 2002 at 9:46 p.m. Chitra wrote:

> Is there anyway to navigate through the XML document using stylesheet by
> which I can do the following without explicitly specifying the node
> position like position() = 1 or position() = 2 etc. As far as I know
> only 'last()' is available which extracts the last value of the
> specified element.

<snip>

> I know that following-sibling axis is available but it returns all the
> following siblings and not just the next one which is not useful if I
> want to move through the nodes one by one (either forward or backward)
> and perform some operations. Similar is the problem with
> preceding-sibling or following or preceding and other similar axis

> So is there any way to do this ?

Wow, I'm new to the list and yet I think I know the answer to this
one, at least in principle.

I have in one of my style sheets the following construct:

following-sibling::element[position() &lt; 3]

This is selecting elements within 3 of the context element, so in your
case, I would imagine the 'next()' function could be accomplished
with:

following-sibling::element[position()=1]

Not tested, but it would seem to be to be the answer.  Hope it helps.

--
Regards,

Allister