Re: [xsl] looping through Elements stored in a variable..

Subject: Re: [xsl] looping through Elements stored in a variable..
From: Niko Matsakis <niko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 12:36:29 -0500
One way to do this would be something like the following:

<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:me="http://www.my-namespace.com";>
<me:University-List>
<University id = "1"> University1</University>
<University id = "2"> University2</University>
<University id = "3"> University3</University>
<University id = "4"> University4</University>
</me:University-List >
<xsl:template match="/">
<xsl:variable name="univ-var" select="document("")/xsl:stylesheet/me:University-List"/>
<xsl:for-each select="$univ-var/University">
<!-- do something -->
</xsl:for-each>
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

i.e., use the document function to load the source xml of your stylesheet and access the data without using an RTF. This only works, of course, if your RTF is constant. I'm using the namespace "www.my-namespace.com" as an example, obviously, any namespace that is not the XSLT namespace should be okay.

Niko Matsakis DataPower technology

Laura Jenkins wrote:

Hello people,
i have the following xsl structure

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
<xsl:template match="/">
 <xsl:variable name="univ-var">
  <University-List>
   <University id = "1"> University1</University>
   <University id = "2"> University2</University>
   <University id = "3"> University3</University>
   <University id = "4"> University4</University>
  </University-List >
 </xsl:variable>
<!-- i want to iterate through this variable without usiing the extension
nodeset..-->
<!-- something along the lines of .. -->
 <xsl:for-each select="$place-var/placements/placement">
 <xsl:value-of select="."/>
 </xsl:for-each>
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

What i was doing obviousl;y does not work because it needs to be a nodeset.
Can any one tell me how to do this without using the extension : nodeset.
Its is  MANDATORY that I  DO NOT USE the extension nodeset.
Thanks