Re: [xsl] Please comment on following XML/XSL approach....

Subject: Re: [xsl] Please comment on following XML/XSL approach....
From: RShonk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 16:32:45 -0500
>  I am using following code to generate reports and it works, but...
>  Could you please comment on this approach?
>
>  1) the servlet 'report_cab' on the first line will run sql to retrieve
> results set with passed parameters from the request object.
>  2) Next, it will create a streamSource from static XSL
>  3) Then, using Transformer to put them together and generate HTML or
Excel
> or PDF....

Lee,
We put a dynamic PDF generator into production about 1 month ago following
exactly this procedure using the XDK plugged into Oracle v8.1.6 to generate
XML documents which are written to a temp directory. Our XSL files are
static and the PDF's are rendered with fop 0.20.4 using the included
FOPServlet. Then we send the generated pdf in a byte stream to the user's
browser.
The issues we faced with this approach are
1) FOP is very memory and CPU intensive. We needed to limit the size of the
records processed by limiting the size of the result sets returned from the
database.
2) Internet Explorer and Acrobat Reader do not always play well together
when the reader is running as a plug-in. See MS KB articles Q252609 and
Q293792.

Good Luck,
Richard Shonk
Flowserve Corp.