RE: [xsl] The beginning of xslt?

Subject: RE: [xsl] The beginning of xslt?
From: DPawson@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 09:41:06 -0000
> How did the development of xslt begin? Is there a person who
> said that something
> like this would be needed? I came to this question, while I
> was doing some
> research about xslt development.

> And how did we end up to this situation,as the figure above shows?

Sorry, I really don't understand the diagram too well.

I'll make a start, perhaps others will fill in?

the idea of XSLT came from the need to get from XML into print,
which is what XSL-FO is all about... except then it was called XSL.

That came about because of ISO 10159, DSSSL, which does the same job
for SGML.

DSSSL had essentially two parts. Pick the bits of the source document
you want (selection), change it as needed (transformation), then style it
(something about the Spanish inquisition :-).

A few people picked up on the selection and transformation part, but it
wasn't seen as sexy in DSSSL.

So, out of the dim and distant comes XSL. Same group of people roughly.

This time, the selection and transformation is seen as sexy, and the clamour
is to seperate the sexy from the .... other, hence XSLT and XPATH are split
out from XSL, which is now XSL-FO.

I guess the sexiness is simply because we can get HTML from XML.

I have notes at home, awaiting comments from one of those involved, which
puts
a tiny part of this in perspective; though the focus is on print from
SGML/XML.
I'll publish it as and when.

Regards DaveP.

-

confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the
intended recipient you are hereby notified that you must not use,
disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email's content. If
immediately and then delete the email and any attachments from your
system.

RNIB has made strenuous efforts to ensure that emails and any
attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses. However, it
cannot accept any responsibility for any viruses which are
transmitted. We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.

represent those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk