RE: [xsl] The beginning of xslt?

Subject: RE: [xsl] The beginning of xslt?
From: "Andy Joslin" <andy.joslin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 15:42:24 -0000
>I think the answer must be yes.

Thought so. If they are lurking on this list I'd be interested in their
views.. :-)

Certainly every time I look at the XSL spec its ambitions appear to be
potentially huge, and yet I can't help but feel that the current
processing of formatting objects into print/pdf are just a limited
interpretation of this ambition.

>it's not clear to me whether there is a real difference in principle
between "a
>browser that could read FO" and "a client side pipeline that reads FO,
produces
>PDF and browses the PDF"

I think the difference here is that we tend to regard PDFs as something
that are by their very nature "static" in terms of their interactivity
(hyperlinks or not). I guess at the moment HTML documents offer a
greater range of interactivity from client-side scripting to form
posting, and some limited state management with cookies, etc.

It would be nice to see an evolution in browser development that allows
all of the above (and more) while allowing the designer/developer to
have the greater control over formatting that XSL:FO affords us for
print.

Andy