Re: [xsl] is XSLT 2.0 implementable? (was: N : M transformation)

Subject: Re: [xsl] is XSLT 2.0 implementable? (was: N : M transformation)
From: Tobias Reif <tobiasreif@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 23:36:42 +0100
Daniel Veillard wrote:

But all that has no value if it won't be widely implemented, which can only happen if (at leat some of the) implementers (of the currently popular processors) can implement it, and see value in doing so.

there is also little values in specs that are not fully implemented
if each tool/vendor has it's own supported subset you end up with something terrible for the users.

Absolutely! What potential causes do you see for this, except the WXS issues?

"I can't implement a specification I don't understand."

then that means that other implementers probably have rightful concerns about the current draft as well.

Hum, there might have been a misunderstanding,

Only a slight one ...

I didn't said that
for XPath2/XSLT2 but for XML Schemas Structure.

... and not really relevant for what I said.

About implementing XSLT 2.0 you wrote:

"It's also clear that I tried an implementation within libxml2 but it became quickly too painful that I focused on other targets."

"I'm just stating why I think at this point that I won't be able to implement XSLT-2.0 nor XPath-2.0 anytime soon."

So is the spec the reason or not? If the reason is only it's reliance on XML Schemas Structure, then that's the issue which should be resolved.

Tobi

--
http://www.pinkjuice.com/