RE: [xsl] is XSLT 2.0 implementable? (was: N : M transformation)

Subject: RE: [xsl] is XSLT 2.0 implementable? (was: N : M transformation)
From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 14:45:02 -0500
At 5:22 PM +0000 2/4/03, Michael Kay wrote:

That's very hard to do. There are good reasons why XSLT is defined in
terms of a transformation of one data model instance to another, leaving
a great deal of flexibility as to how (and whether) the data model
instance is derived from some source XML document. If we said that the
input had to be source XML, then we could define exactly what happened
to it, but I don't think we want to do that, and the net result is that
you (and therefore your chosen vendor) can do anything you like to the
document before the XSLT transformation starts.

And one more time I disagree with this. The problem is not as bad as you make it out. You do not need to say that the input must be derived from some source XML document. You simply need to state that when the input is derived directly from a source XML document, then the data model is precisely specified. You could further require that all conforming implementations provide a means to convert a source XML document to the data model. Now, if someone wants to feed in something that is not a source XML document, then the sky's the limit. But there's no reason we can't be quite precise about what happens when the input is in fact a source XML document.

| Elliotte Rusty Harold | elharo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | Writer/Programmer |
|           Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002)          |
|              http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava             |
| http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0201771861/cafeaulaitA  |