RE: [xsl] converting xsl-wd to xsl1, msxml script changes

Subject: RE: [xsl] converting xsl-wd to xsl1, msxml script changes
From: "Andrew Welch" <AWelch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 12:13:52 -0000
> >Microsoft had a wd-xsl to xslt convertor written in(I think)
> xslt at one
> >time, however as with all automatic conversion processes the
> converted
> >xslts were less than optimal.
>
> I tried that, the input file was 7k, the output file was over 80k and
> consisted of mainly comments saying I had to rewrite it.. clever I
> thought :)

In my experience the -only- way to convert from wd-xsl to xslt is to transform the source using the old stylesheets, and then write the xslt required for the new stylesheets from scratch.

Trying to figure out what the embedded jscript is doing, and then implementing that process in xslt will lead to problems - the languages will attack the same problem from very different angles.  The time spent deciphering ropey Jscript could be better spent designing the shiny new xslt based on the output required, and not on the old way of getting there.

cheers
andrew

---