RE: [xsl] performance issues saxon

Subject: RE: [xsl] performance issues saxon
From: "Michael Kay" <michael.h.kay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 18:04:41 -0000
> Thanks for your suggestions Mike. I am looking at the
> solution you had suggested. I am at the moment sticking to
> saxon5.5.1 for some reasons. I looked at  the documentation
> for saxon:preview and the sample play.xsl. I am all set to do
> a basic test ..can I give a wildcard * to say preview all
> elements? like. <saxon:preview mode = "preview" elements = "*"/>

No, it has to be a list of specific element names, whitespace-separated.
If you gave the name "*", it would match the document element, which
would make the whole exercise rather pointless.

> Or do we have to give the specific element's name??

> Also will it only work if we have a template of that name.. I
> am asking this because i am making use of  a for-each and not
> a template.?

You don't need to have a template of the form match="element-name", but
you do need to have a template rule that matches the preview element.
The rule is triggered automatically when the XML parser hits the end tag
for a registered preview element, it does not need to be fired using
xsl:apply-templates.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@xxxxxxxxxxxx