Re: [xsl] "--" question

Subject: Re: [xsl] "--" question
From: david_n_bertoni@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 11:53:43 -0700

>From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
> > I'm not quite sure what to suggest you should do about it, though!
>
>Surely the best solution is not to put the javascript into a comment
>
> Maybe I'm missing the idea here, but from the viewpoint that this is a
> comment, I feel that I ought to have the leeway to put nearly any
character
> combination together within a comment and have the parsing processor
ignore
> that combo.  I recognize this is not standard for xslt, and I'm curious
what
> the reasoning is for it.  Placing a significant number of
&#decimalOrName;
> within xslt diminishes the understanding and reading capability of the
> original XSLT file.  This is especially true when trying to translate
some
> 'comment' text into usable scripting for the output generated.

The string '--' cannot appear in a comment.  Otherwise, the document will
not be well-formed:

   http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#sec-comments

The XSLT recommendation requires that processors ensure this does not
happen:

   http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#section-Creating-Comments

If the XML recommendations codified whatever people "feel" is correct,
we'ed be in a sorry state.  You may not agree with how things work, but the
behavior you're seeing is correct.

Dave